I meant to share this post with you a while back as we were getting ready to put our last house on the market. But between finishing the updates, packing, and staging the house, time got away from me. Then the house received a contract within the first 24 hours of being on the market and we had to find a house to buy! And THEN there was theRead More »
The last post I did was on November 10th…31 days ago. I told y’all about us getting ready to do a bunch of projects on the house so that we could put it on the market on December 1st. We didn’t quite make the 1st, but we were close.
Mr. took two weeks off at Thanksgiving and we busted butt to finish all the projects that I wanted to get done, plus some. We decluttered, packed 33 boxes of stuff, and took several loads of more stuff to a storage unit! Obviously, we have TOO MUCH STUFF!! Also, while Mr. was off, we took a drive down to Bayou Vista (just this side of the causeway going over to Galveston Island) to look at a house on the market. (we were just looking)
But here is where it gets crazy!
Saturday – December 5th
- 2:00 pm – Our realtor listed our house online (no photos).
- 2:30 pm – Mr. finds a leak in our sprinkler system/calls plumber.
- 3:40 pm – Plumber arrives.
- 3:50 pm – Our realtor calls and says she has someone who wants to see the house at 4:30.
- 3:51 pm – I go into panic mode, as I have the realty papers strung out all over the kitchen table. I grab all the papers and stuff them in a drawer in the chest of drawers in our bedroom. I make a mad dash around the house making sure everything is in place and go outside to tell Mr. and the plumber we have people coming at 4:30!
- 4:25 pm – We leave the plumber to do his thing and we go up the block to sit and wait for him to get done. We also secretly want to see who is coming to look at our house. 🙂
- 4:30 pm – White car begins stalking our house by slowly driving by again…and again…and again.
- 4:45 pm – Plumber finishes up and leaves.
- 4:50 pm – Realtor pulls into drive followed by a couple in the house-stalking white car.
- 5:15 pm – Prospective buyers and realtor leave and all is calm again.
Sunday – December 6th
- 11:30 am – We head to Bayou Vista to check out a couple of houses.
- 11:45 am – Showing service calls to set up an appointment for 12:30 (still no photos are online).
- 12:30 pm – Mr. and I enjoy lunch on the island and look at three houses plus the one we looked at over Thanksgiving.
- 8:00 pm – Realtor calls and says we have an offer on the house…from the house-stalking white car couple!
- 8:01 pm – Negotiations begin!
Monday – December 7th
- 6:10 am – I drive Mr. to the airport as he is flying to North Dakota for the week. Of course, he is. One person should always be out-of-town when trying to close the deal on a house! Keeps it more entertaining!
- 9:30 am – Offer is finalized. I sign it, scan it, and email it to Mr. in North Dakota for signature.
- 2:45 pm – Realtor and photographer arrive to take pictures for online listing.
- 7:15 pm – Showing service calls to set up an appointment for 6:00 pm tomorrow
- 8:40 pm – Realtor from Bayou Vista house calls to tell us that she has two offers coming in on the house that we have been talking to her about.
- 8:41 pm – I go into panic mode! Our house is going under contract and now the ONLY house I want to buy has multiple offers on it! And of course, Mr. IS OUT OF TOWN!
- 9:30 pm – Mr. calls Bayou Vista realtor and gives her our verbal offer.
- Monday night – No sleep!
Tuesday – December 8th
- 9:30 am – Realtor swings by with the contract for signature. I sign, initial, scan, and email to Mr.
- 10:00 am – Pictures are on the online listing!
- 5:45 pm – Leave to go out to dinner with my daughter and her roommate while house is being shown.
- 6:30 pm – Bayou Vista realtor emails me to let us know she is presenting offer.
- 7:30 pm – Return from dinner to find our back gate is semi-locked. Roommate messes with it and gets it open. We walk to the back screen door which has been locked from the inside! (the issue here is my front door key is in the realty lock box on the front door , daughter left her keys at home, and Mr. IS OUT OF TOWN)
- 7:31 pm – I call the realtor and leave her a message that we have been locked out of the house! In the meantime, roommate has found a flyswatter, takes it apart, and begins to work it down the inside of the screen door and finally pops the latch after several tries!! Just call her MacGyver!
- 7:39 pm – I leave another message with my realtor and tell her we broke into the house!
- 7:59 pm – Realtor calls to find out what happened and to tell me that tonight’s lookers want to put in an offer!
- 9:00 pm – While talking to Mr. on the phone, we realize that we have an email with acceptance signatures on our offer on the Bayou Vista house!
So to break it down for you, in a little over three days, we put our house on the market, received a contract, made an offer on a house, and are under contract for it!!
And Mr. is STILL OUT OF TOWN!!
Y’all have a great day!